Hey hey, it’s MJ,
So I love décor, that is literally not a secret if you have read my blog for any length of time. I enjoy making DIY projects and I love and I mean really love arranging flowers. I have done a number of arrangements for my mother, my grandmother when she was still alive, and myself as well. Some of my craftiness started in college, when you are in a sorority you just learn that you have to be crafty and creative. Though I feel like that just expanded my want and ability to craft, to be honest.
Like I said, I really enjoy flower arranging and I have done that for years now. The last one I did was for my mom at Christmas and I am super proud of that one. This project isn’t a flower arrangement though, it’s a door decoration. I have been seeing premade flower arrangements on floral hoops a lot lately and a lot of them are expensive. All and all I think mine was about $20 considering all of the flowers I bought but didn’t actually use. (I got them 40% or 50% off at Hobby Lobby) That’s the secret to buying flowers to make any sort of arrangement, wait until you can get them on sale at a craft store. The hoops I bought in a four pack from Amazon, I’ll link that here, it’s not affiliate coded or anything it’s just general information.
Let’s get into the DIY though:
Flowers of your choice (pick colors or flowers that will look cool together, just walk around the fake flower aisles holding all of them, it’s fun.)
Floral hoop (can be any metal or size, mine are 14” but you can do bigger or smaller depending on your space and desired use)
Floral wire (I stole mine from my mom but you can buy it at pretty much any craft store)
Pilers (just in general, own pliers)
Time (this took me probably 45 minutes to do so give yourself some time, listen to a podcast or some music and hang out.)
Steps (procedure, directions, whatever you want to call it):
1. My first tip is usually, gather all the materials and that’s pretty much what it is. Make sure that you have everything that you need to make this project. It’s not like cooking so it’s not time sensitive but if you want to just get it done then you need to make sure you have all of your materials.
2. I cut all of the flowers off that I think I wanted to use with my pliers, most fake flowers have a wire through them under the plastic and to get a nice clean cut you need to snip them.
3. I stripped all of the ends down to the wire and this for sure was what took me the longest because with thicker stems you have to take a portion of the plastic and then strip them in sections. Give yourself the time to do this carefully so you don’t accidently nip through the wire because then you may not be able to use that bloom.
4. This is the fun part, after you strip them then you just go to town putting them onto the hoop. It’s a lot of floral wire and thinking about what would look good where and trying to get everything secured to the hoop. I didn’t take any pictures of this portion because I was in the zone and when I get in the zone I forget that I should be taking pictures for the post.
5. When you are happy with it, stop. I am serious, once you are happy with it and it looks good to you don’t add any more. I know that seems odd but don’t overdo it. I love a simple design on things like this. You can add more than I did, it is to your level of how you like it. If I make another one (which I plan to) I want to do more flowers and brighter colors but for a first attempt kind of thing I am really happy with it.
6. Find a place to hang it, you can hang it on a ribbon or cord or you can just hang the hoop on a command strip. Mine at the moment is hanging on a command strip but I want to get it on a ribbon so I can change the positioning of the flowers.
7. Enjoy. That’s it, just enjoy what you created.
It’s not a hard craft, it’s just gathering the materials and having the time to do it. You can buy stuff like this, I see that stuff everywhere but if you do it yourself you have control over the placement and the flowers that you want on it. I know that for some people they don’t want to do it themselves, they just want to buy it and that’s fine, roll with it. I personally like having control over things like this and now I have a cool thing to hang up in my apartment.
I will see y’all later in the week with another post. By the time this comes out it will be my last day of spring break so back to work tomorrow and I am excited to get back. I hope that everyone has a good start to the week though, stay happy and healthy and I’ll be back soon with another post!